Thursday, May 3, 2012

Time to get my period back

When I had my miscarriage back in October, it kind of set me back into a funk. I'm not going to lie. I'm human, and something as heartbreaking as losing a baby yet again, when we have been trying for so long and doing everything that we know to do...of course it's going to put you in a dark place.
I was angry, so angry that I said "I'm not going to bother with any of my daily medications." Don't get me wrong, it's not like I was on any life saving prescriptions or pills to even out my mood. I just stopped taking what I had been taking which included Metformin that I had been taking for several years for my PCOS, all the way down to my daily folic acid, vitamin D and prenatal vitamin. I just didn't feel the need anymore.
Well, the joke was on me. With me not taking some of these pills, I just felt different and not in a good way. I would tell my hubby that I didn't feel "good", and of course his reply was always..."Well, what doesn't feel good?" as though I might be coming down with a flu bug or sick or something.

I just couldn't explain it to him, or to anyone for that matter. I just didn't feel like I should feel. I felt all most lethargic, and like I had a dark cloud over me. I wasn't depressed, but I felt depressed. Then I started thinking....I haven't been taking my pills for months. Maybe I should start taking those again. Even though we weren't on the TTC bandwagon, I had to get back to taking those pills. Then it clicked for me...I hadn't had a period since before our transfer in September. My last period was August 16th!! Yes, I bled with the miscarriage, but that wasn't a period in my book (maybe I am wrong about this), it was my body passing this baby or babies out of my system. So...what can I do to get my period back?

Well for us PCOS ladies, it isn't unusual to go long stretches with no period, but this has been 8 months. The only reason I should go this long without a period is if I am pregnant. Of course I am suppose to be pregnant right now (our due date was May 25th)...but we won't go there!

Anyway, I remembered that in the past I had some good results with using just OTC natural progesterone cream twice a day. So, I did some more research on this with my good friend Dr. G (that's Google) and decided to give it a try. I picked up some cream from GNC and started it Tuesday night (May 1st). Normally you would start your progesterone cream therapy on CD12 and take it for 14 days. Since I don't have a CD12, I have manipulated one. My hope is that when I stop this in a couple of weeks a period will soon appear.

This is not for a TTC attempt, but to help bring on my missing period! Stay tuned and I will let you all know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. So? Any signs yet? I hope she shows up soon and you can get to feeling yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon. Nothing just yet, but I will be doing the progesterone until Monday, then I will stop to see if she comes knocking. I will be updating this weekend. I hope you enjoy your Mother's day! :)

    ReplyDelete