Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Truth about the Insulin Resistance Diet

After following this "link and balance" method for almost two weeks, I have got to say that I "feel" different. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect the pounds to suddenly come melting off and the inches to just vanish over night, but I truly feel so much better. After reading and studying this book for several days, I finally realize just how "food ignorant" I was. One thing that us PCOS women stuggle with so much is our weight and the yo-yo effect of trying just about every fad diet out there.
Insulin Resistance really screws up your metabolism and that's why no matter what we try, we rarely get any true results from any particular diet. Oh sure, we will take off about 14 pounds or so...then nothing, and before you know it, those 14 pounds we lost have come back and brought about 5 or 10 pound friends with them.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I was always told that carbs were what I would have to stay away from...that those are what causes the spikes in our blood sugar and pack on the pounds. It's so hard for me though, because I frequently crave those bad carbs, like pasta, bread, sweets...etc. At times when I have cut out my carbs completely, like when I have done the Atkins diet and things like...I always ALWAYS fail!
BUT....this amazing book (IMHO) really lays it out and finally makes sense to me. Thankfully we can have carbs, but the book tells you to not have any more than 30g of carb at any given time (meal or snack) AND, when you eat those carbs you must also eat protein (14g) to offset the carbs you have eaten. When you have the chance and option to eat low-fat or no-fat things it is best to do so. Another important thing to remember is to not eat more than 30g of carbs within a 2 hour period. Your body makes the decision as to what to store or burn in two hours. If you eat more than 30g of carbs in less than 2 hours...your body is going to tend to store it up as fat.

So...what are some of the things I have eaten on this new plan?

Breakfast: 2 egg or egg substitute (protein) and 1 slice of toast (carb) with water (important not to eat more than 3 egg yolks per week for cholesterol reasons)

Morning Snack: Light & Fit Dannon yogurt (protein) with fruit (grapes, apple slices) (carb)

Lunch: Salad with 2 Tbs light dressing with chicken pieces (protein) (could also add a carb with this as well if you like)

Afternoon Snack: Roasted nuts or cheese (protein) with crackers or fruit (carb)

Dinner: Grilled Chicken or other lean meat (protein), steamed veggies (as much as you want), 1/2 cup mashed potatoes (carb).

Evening snack: 1/2 cup of sugar free ice cream or sherbert

Anyway...this is just an idea of a day's meal. The book gives you a TON of ideas, a list of what is protein or carb as well as what you can have from common fast food restaurants and even packaged meals like Hamburger Helpers, frozen meals, etc.

I'm praying to keep this up even while on our cruise in a couple of weeks. It really shouldn't be a problem because there are a lot of fruits and veggies available.

I should also mention that Ken and I have been going to the gym every night. Sometimes it is hard to find the motivation (the book states that this is a common problem with us PCOS/Insulin Resistant girls). BUT, once we get moving at the gym, things feel good and the motivation comes.

In other words, I would highly recommend anyone who is a fellow PCOS lady to get this book.

Now I am reading PCOS and your Fertility by Collette Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment